Reports from NFL.com are saying information from several legitimate sources indicates the Texans are not going to pursue “The President” Reggie Bush and are instead going to pursue North Carolina State DE “Super Mario” Williams.
Here is the evidence:
1) Texans have not had any contract negotiations with Bush.
2) They have initiated contract negotiations with Williams.
3) Some of the Texans organization did not bother to see Bush when he came to Houston.
- Those close to Reggie Bush didn't feel the red carpet was rolled out for him.
- A person in the Bush camp said that he didn’t feel Bush would be a Texan.
4) The entire organization seemingly rolled it out for Williams on his visit.
5) They have RB Dominick Davis, a 1000 yard rusher.
6) A major weakness for the Texans is their defensive line.
NFL.com is not the only place coming up with similar claims. On the latest edition of the NFL Draft specials on ESPN, reporter Chris Mortensen said that a credible source told him (he never goes on air with something before making sure the source is of legitimate authority) that the Texans have Williams as the top player on their draft board, which logically means that their priority is to take him over Bush.
If this were to happen it would change the dynamic at the top of the draft as the Saints would take Bush instead of shopping the pick or taking Virginia OT D’Brickashaw Ferguson.
This year’s draft is shaping up to be quite an event.
Tue 04/18/06, 7:54 pm EST