As an avid NY Mets fan, I feel that Willie Randolph needs to get his head out of his ass and use this starting lineup. I will give my reasoning as to why after each player named:
- Jose Reyes - although his OBP is extremely low (~.300 last year) he undoubtedly provideds a spark at the top of the lineup. Switch hitter. Once on base, he drives pitchers crazy, steals bases with ease, and can score from first on a double better than anyone else in the league. A shoe-in for 100 runs scored.
- Carlos Beltran - switch hitting, contact hitter, very quick, steals bases, can score easily. Batting in the 2-hole will take the pressure of being a pure power hitter off of him, can rely on Wright/Delgado/Floyd to drive him in. Will be able to provide power and should knock in 100 while scoring about 110.
- David Wright - High OBP, clutch power hitter. No brainer here. 110+ runs scored, 100+ rbi's.
- Carlos Delgado - Stud. .400+ obp, .550 slg, 115+ rbi, 110+ runs scored. Best power hitter on the club, again a no brainer in the four hole.
- Cliff Floyd - powerful lefty will have 2 stud OBP men in front of him. If he stays healthy should have no problem driving in 100+ runs.
- Victor Diaz - Mini-Manny, despite his defensive liabilities, is a pure hitter. Provides 20-25hr power and an expanding knowledge of the strike zone.
- Paul Lo Duca - clutch contact hitter. Should drive in 70-80 runs while getting on base at a strong .340 clip. Solid #7 hitter.
- Kazuo Matsui - Pray.