Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|<<Back to the This Date in Sports History page|
- Jimmie Foxx (Philadelphia Athletics) and Chuck Klein (Philadelphia Phillies) are each awarded their respective league's MVP Award.
- Mike Tyson gets his boxing license back after having it revoked for biting Evander Holyfield's ear in an earlier fight.
- The Atlanta Braves clinch the National League pennant with an 11-inning 10-9 victory over the New York Mets.
- The Boston Red Sox win their third straight ALCS game against the New York Yankees to even the series at three. Curt Schilling gets the win in the infamous "Bloody Sock Game" and Mark Bellhorn contributes a home run that the umpires confer about for several minutes. Also in this game: the infamous "A-Rod Swat" of Bronson Arroyo in an attempt to avoid being tagged out.
- American boxer Evander Holyfield born in Atmore, Alabama.
- German race car driver Hermann Lang died in Germany.