Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|<<Back to the This Date in Sports History page|
- Walt Cruise hit the first home run out of Braves Field.
- Ty Cobb became the first major league baseball player to hit 1,000 extra-base hits.
- Pat Crawford and Lies Bell, both playing for the New York Giants, both come off the bench to hit pinch-hit grandslams as the Giants beat the Boston Braves, 15-9.
- In one of the greatest games ever pitched, Harvey Haddix of the Pittsburgh Pirates throws 12 perfect innings, but loses the game to the Boston Braves, 1-0 when the Braves score a run in the 13th
- Martians invade Commiskey Park. Four midgets, dressed as aliens, land on the field in a helicopter in a publicity stunt concocted by Bill Veeck.
- Ken Brett tosses 8.2 no-hit innings before Jerry Remy reaches first when he hits a slow roller down the thirdbase line that thirdbaseman, Jorge Orta doesn't field, hoping it will go foul.
- Steve Carlton of the Philadelphia Phillies became the first National League player to record 6 1-hitters.
- The Edmonton Oilers won their fourth Stanley Cup in five seasons. They swept the series 4 games to 0 against the Boston Bruins.
- Arsenal's Alan Smith and Michael Thomas both scored to clinch the Football League Championship with a 2-0 victory over Liverpool at Anfield.
- Carlos Martinez of the Cleveland Indians hits long fly ball to the warning track that bounces off the head of Jose Canseco and lands in the stands for a home run. The Indians beat the Texas Rangers, 7-6.
- A fan jumps from the upper deck at Yankee Stadium and lands on the screen behind home plate during a New York Yankees/Boston Red Sox game. The fan claims there was no alcohol involved (yeah, right) and did the stunt on a dare.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates' Daryle Ward hits for the cycle in the Pirates' 11-8 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals. It has been done 23 times in Pittsburgh history and 243 times in the majors since 1882. Ward joins his father, Gary Ward, to become the first father-son combination in major league history to hit for the cycle. The senior Ward accomplished the feat on September 18, 1980, for the Minnesota Twins.
- Derek Jeter gets the 2,000th hit of his career in the same game where the Kansas City Royals snap their 13 game losing streak as they beat the New York Yankees with a 7-6 come from behind win.
- The first American intercollegiate bicycle race was held (in Manhattan Beach, NY)
- The first Le Mans Grand Prix d'Endurance was run.
- Sports broadcaster Brent Musberger born in Portland, Oregon.