|<<Back to the This Date in Sports History page|
- The Chicago Cubs score 11 in the first off of two Hall of Famers, Joe McGinnity and Christy Mathewson, and go on to beat the New York Giants, 19-0
- A baseball game is called on the count of dead body. A body is found at the ballpark in Kingsport, Tennessee and the game is called in order to let the police conduct their investigation.
- Johnny Allen storms off the mound and doesn't return when an ump asks him to remove his sweatshirt because the dangling sleeve is distracting hitters. The sweatshirt ends up in the Hall of Fame
- Hal Newhouser, Detroit Tigers' hurler and Hall of Famer, walks 9 in 6 innings to lose to the Chicago White Sox, 3-1.
- Brookly Dodgers' catcher, Roy Campanella, steals home in the 12th to help the Dodgers beat the St. Louis Cardinals, 7-5.
- Thanks to a bases loaded walk by Gene Alley the Pittsburg Pirates beat the San Diego Padres, 1-0 in 18 innings.
- Los Angeles Dodgers first baseman, Steve Garvey plays in his 1000th consecutive game becoming just the fifth major league player to do so.
- The roof at Skydome is closed during the middle of a 4-2 Toronto Blue Jays victory over Milwaukee Brewers. It was the first game in major league history to be played partly indoors and partly outdoors.
- Dave Burba homers for the Cleveland Indians to help beat the Cincinnati Reds, 6-1. Burba was the first Indians pitcher to homer in 26 years.
- See the All-Time Team for June 7th birthdays
- Anna Kournikova-Tennis "star"