|<<Back to the This Date in Sports History page|
- Sandy Koufax of the Los Angeles Dodgers pitched his first no-hitter in a game with the New York Mets.
- Willie McCovey hit his 500th career home run.
- The longest professional football game took place in the USFL as the Los Angeles Express beat the Michigan Panthers 27-21 after 93 minutes and 33 seconds.
- David Wells made his MLB debut for the Toronto Blue Jays. He took the loss in a 4-0 game to the New York Yankees by allowing 4 runs in 4 innings on 9 hits and 2 walks. Willie Randolph did the most damage with a 2 run double and Don Mattingly scored twice.
- The United States Figure Skating Association stripped Tonya Harding of the 1994 national championship and banned her from the organization for life for an attack on rival Nancy Kerrigan.
- Mike Tyson, former heavyweight champion boxer