- Virginia Tech expelled quarterback Marcus Vick from the football team, citing a last-chance proviso that Vick agreed to when he was readmitted to the university in January, 2005.
- The Minnesota Vikings hired former Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress as their new head coach, replacing the recently fired Mike Tice.
- The Kansas City Chiefs agreed to give the New York Jets a heretofore undisclosed draft pick for the rights to negotiate with Jets head coach Herman Edwards. The agreement requires the approval of NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue.
- Tennis players Taylor Dent and Lisa Raymond, representing the United States, won the Hopman Cup.
- Bill Parcells signed a extension to remain head coach of the Dallas Cowboys through 2007.
- The Boston Red Sox signed J.T. Snow to a one-year, $2 million contract.
- Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher was named AP Defensive Player of the Year.