- The University of Texas defeated Southern California in the Rose Bowl, and in doing so, won their first National Championship in 35 years.
- Carnell Williams, running back, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and Shawne Merriman, linebacker, San Diego Chargers, were named the Offensive and Defensive NFL Rookie of the Year, respectively.
- Figure skater Michelle Kwan withdrew from the 2006 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, citing a pulled right groin. She will have to petition the U.S. Figure Skating International Committee for entrance into the 2006 Olympics.
- The New York Mets traded pitchers Jae Weong Seo and Tim Hamulack to the Los Angeles Dodgers for pitchers Steve Schmoll and Duaner Sanchez.
- The Buffalo Bills fired president and general manager Tom Donahoe.
- Lynn Swann, former wide receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers, announced his candidacy for Governor of the State of Pennsylvania.
- The New Jersey Devils waived right wing Alexander Mogilny.
January 4, 2006 NBA Scores
Rose Bowl: Texas 41, USC 38