Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Derian Hatcher is known as a physical defenseman and a strong bodychecker and uses his intimidating size (6'5", 245 lb.) to good effect. He was drafted in the 1st Round as the 8th Overall selection by the Minnesota North Stars in the 1990 NHL Entry Draft and scored in his NHL debut game on October 12 1991. Hatcher played for the North Stars and went with them when they moved to Dallas in 1993.
He played another 10 years for the Dallas Stars, collecting 71 goals, 223 assists, 1,380 penalty minutes, and captained the Stars to the Stanley Cup in 1999. In doing so, he became the first American born Captain to win the Stanley Cup. In July 2003, Hatcher signed with the Detroit Red Wings for a five-year $30 million contract.
In 2004, due to the cancellation of the NHL season, Hatcher, along with fellow Detroit Red Wings teammates Chris Chelios and Kris Draper, decided to play minor league hockey with the Motor City Mechanics based out of Fraser, Michigan.
Despite his parting from the Red Wings, Hatcher continues to call Michigan home. Hatcher also owns a bar/restaurant, named "Hatchy's", on Auburn Road in downtown Utica, MI along with his brother Kevin.
- Draft: 1990 - 1st round (8th overall) by the Minnesota North Stars
- Transferred to Dallas after Minnesota franchise relocated (June 9, 1993)
- Signed as a free agent by Detroit (July 3, 2003)
- Missed majority of 2003-04 season recovering from knee injury suffered in game vs. Vancouver (October 16, 2003)
- Signed as a free agent by Motor City (UHL) (February 1, 2005)
- Signed as a free agent by Philadelphia (August 2, 2005)
Awards and Accomplishments
- Played in NHL All-Star Game (1997)
- NHL Second All-Star Team (2003)
- Lead League in Total Goals Against 2006-07 NHL (133)