Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Barbaro, from the 8th post, won the Kentucky Derby in convincing fashion, winning by 6 1/2 lengths. He settled in near the top of the pack and began to make his move to the top immediately after passing the 3/4 mile mark. This marks the 10th time out of 11 years the winner of this race has stayed in place and waited until passing the 3/4 mile mark to make their move toward the finish. (Handy piece of info for the future)
Keyed Entry, the 3 horse, and Sinister Minister, the 4 horse, set a blistering pace early and then withered away. However their start was the prime reason many of the "big-shot" horses praised by analysts: A.P. Warrior, Lawyer Ron, Brother Derek, Point Determined, were never in the race.
This set up a nice $2 exacta paying $587.00 and a $2 trifecta of $11,410.40.
Below is a recap of the results from 1 to 20 including the final odds.
1. Barbaro (8) proved he was the class in the race; 6-1
2. Bluegrass Cat (13) lived up to potential; 30-1
3. Steppenwolfer (2) they were right about him closing; 16-1
4. Jazil (1) if only he wasn't so far back (he was dead last at the start); 24-1
5. Brother Derek (18) was near the pack the whole way but didn't close; 7-1
6. Showing Up (6) not bad for a 3 race horse; 25-1
7. Sweetnorthernsaint (11) this year's "phony favorite"; 5-1
8. Deputy Glitters (14) longshot; 60-1
9. Point Determined (5) not determined; 9-1
10. Seaside Retreat (15) going back to the ranch; 50-1
11. Storm Treasure (19) was worthless; 50-1
12. Lawyer Ron (17) too busy in court, never fired; 10-1
13. Cause to Believe (16) in losing; 25-1
14. Flashy Bull (20) was a flash in the pan; 40-1
15. Private Vow (12) to stay away from the lead; 40-1
16. Sinister Minister (4) had no business being mentioned as a contender; 9-1
17. Bob and John (7) were watching Brokeback Mountain; 12-1
18. A.P. Warrior (10) analysts pick that always bombs; 14-1
19. Sharp Humor (9) wasn't funny; 30-1
20. Keyed Entry (3) was blazing at the start and then fell off; 25-1
Sat 05/06/06, 8:29 pm EST