|<<Back to the This Date in Sports History page|
- The opening ceremonies for the Games of the XI Olympiad are held in Berlin, Germany. The games were officially openned by Adolf Hitler.
- Onofre Marimon became the first Formula One driver to die in a World Championship event, during the German Grand Prix at the Nurburgring. Juan Manuel Fangio won the race.
- Pete Rose's National League record 44-game hitting streak is snapped by the Atlanta Braves duo of Larry McWilliams and Gene Garber. Rose would go 4-5 the next day. He was 70-182 during the streak, good enough for a .385 AVG.
- Ground is broken in Cincinnati, Ohio for the construction of the Great American Ball Park, the new home for the Cincinnati Reds.
- Rafael Palmeiro was suspended for 10 days for violating the league's new anti-steroids policy.