Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
In the history of the Super Bowl, the following "firsts" have yet to occur :
- Snowy weather. - While Super Bowl XLI was the first to feature rain, snow has yet to fall during the game. This is highly unlikely (barring a freak occurrence in Arizona, Florida or Southern California) since the NFL doesn't schedule the Super Bowl in northern-based open-air stadiums.
- An all- wild card matchup (teams who failed to win their divisions). - Eight wild card teams (since the 1970 merger) have won conference titles, but never two in the same season.
- A shutout. - Every Super Bowl participant to date has scored. In Super Bowl VII, the Washington Redskins scored their only points by a touchdown off a blocked field goal, with 2:07 remaining in the game. The fewest number of points scored in a Super Bowl is 3, put up by the Dolphins the previous year against the Dallas Cowboys.
- A punt return touchdown. - While many kickoffs have been returned for a touchdown, the last being Dennis Hester of Chicago, a punt has yet to be returned for one.
- Home field advantage (playing in one's own home stadium). - The closest instances to this have been Super Bowl XIV being played at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena near the Rams' then-hometown of Los Angeles and Super Bowl XIX being played at Stanford Stadium which is about 25 miles south of the 49ers' home stadium, Candlestick Park. While many Super Bowls have occurred in the Miami and New Orleans areas, neither of the area's teams (the Dolphins and Saints) have ever taken advantage of these opportunities.
- Overtime. - The closest instances to overtime play have been:
- Super Bowl V - Baltimore 's Jim O'Brien kicked a game-winning field goal with :05 left against Dallas.
- Super Bowl XXXIV - Tennessee 's Kevin Dyson being stopped one yard short of a tying touchdown as time expired against the Rams.
- Super Bowl XXXVI - New England 's Adam Vinatieri kicked a game-winning field goal as time expired.
- Super Bowl XXXVIII - Another game-winning field goal by New England's Vinatieri with :04 left.
- An appearance by every team. - Six teams have yet to reach their first Super Bowl: Arizona, Cleveland, Detroit, Houston (either as the Oilers or Texans), Jacksonville and New Orleans.