Recap of the year 1960 in sports.
- Stock car racing:
- Indianapolis 500 - Jim Rathmann
- USAC Racing - A.J. Foyt won the season championship
- Formula One Championship - Jack Brabham of Australia
- 24 hours of Le Mans: the team of Olivier Gendebien / Paul Frère won, driving a Ferrari TR60
- Rally racing - the team of Walter Schock / Rolf Moll won the Monte Carlo Rally driving a Mercedes 220SE.
- Drag racing - Leonard Harris won "Top Eliminator" at the NHRA Nationals
- World Series: Pittsburgh Pirates win 4 games to 3 over the New York Yankees. The Series MVP is Bobby Richardson, New York.
- October 13 - 1960 World Series: Baseballer Bill Mazeroski becomes the first person to end a World Series with a home run.
- The Winnipeg Goldeyes win the Northern League championship.
- The Boston Celtics won the series 4-3 over the St. Louis Hawks. This marked the 3rd meeting between the teams in 4 years. The Celtics won their 2nd consecutive championship and 3rd in 4 years.
- Minnesota Golden Gophers win National college football championship.
- National Football League names Pete Rozelle commissioner of the league. The league expands to Dallas for the 1960 season and Minneapolis-St.Paul for the 1961 season. The Chicago Cardinals relocates to St. Louis, Missouri.
- December 26-NFL Championship: Philadelphia Eagles won 17-13 over the Green Bay Packers
- The American Football League (AFL) played its first season
- First black pro football placekicker: Gene Mingo (Denver Broncos, AFL)
- First Hispanic pro football quarterback: Tom Flores (Oakland Raiders, AFL)
- AFL Championship: Houston Oilers won 24-16 over the Los Angeles Chargers
- The American Olympic men's ice-hockey team won the United States' first Olympic hockey gold medal with a record of 7–0–0 during the tournament.
- Art Ross Memorial Trophy as the NHL's leading scorer during the regular season: Bobby Hull, Chicago Blackhawks
- Hart Memorial Trophy for the NHL's Most Valuable Player: Gordie Howe, Detroit Red Wings
- Stanley Cup: Montreal Canadiens win 4 games to 0 over the Toronto Maple Leafs
- World Hockey Championship
- Men's champion: United States is crushed by Canada
- Grand Slam in tennis men's results:
- Australian Open - Rod Laver
- French Open - Nicola Pietrangeli
- Wimbledon championships - Neale Fraser
- US Open - Neale Fraser
- Grand Slam in tennis women's results:
- Australian Open - Margaret Smith
- French Open - Darlene Hard
- Wimbledon championships - Maria Bueno
- US Open - Darlene Hard
- Davis Cup: Australia wins 4-1 over Italy in world tennis.