Recap of the year 1909 in sports.
See also 1909 in baseball
June 19 - Monte Attell, won the World Bantamweight Championship joining his brother Abe Attell, who held the World Featherweight Championship, to become the first pair of brothers to hold world titles simultaneously.
- June 15 - Representatives from England, Australia and South Africa meet at Lords and form the Imperial Cricket Conference.
- Victorian Football League - South Melbourne wins the 13th VFL Premiership (South Melbourne 4.14 (38) d Carlton 4.12 (36))
- West Auckland Town, an English amateur side, beat FC Winterthur of Switzerland 2-0 to win the Sir Thomas Lipton Trophy, one of the very first international club competitions.
- First Division - Newcastle United win the 1908-09 title.
- FA Cup - Manchester United beat Bristol City 1-0.
- November 30 - A goal is scored in the St. Andrew's Day match of the Eton Wall Game at Eton College. As of 2003, no more goals have been scored in the St. Andrew's day game (which is the most important match of the year) but points have been scored by other methods.
- February 11 — Max Baer (The Livermore Larruper), American boxer and actor (d. 1959)
- February 15 — Guillermo Gorostiza Paredes, Spanish football (soccer) player (d. 1966)