Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Recap of the year 1908 in sports.
- The Chicago Cubs defeat the Detroit Tigers, four games to one, in the 1908 World Series.
- The St. Louis Cardinals set a still standing Major League Baseball record for the fewest runs scored in a season (372).
- September 23 - The Merkle incident
See also 1908 in baseball
- Olympic Games (Men's Competition) in London, Great Britain
- Gold Medal: England
- Silver Medal: Ireland
- Bronze Medal: Scotland / Wales
- Victorian Football League
- Rugby league begins in Australia, with the formation of the New South Wales Rugby League
- First Division - Manchester United win the 1907-08 title.
- FA Cup - Wolverhampton Wanderers beat Newcastle United 3-1.
- 1908 Summer Olympics takes place in London, United Kingdom
- Great Britain wins the most medals (145), and the most gold medals (56).
- December 26 - Jack Johnson becomes the first African American heavyweight boxing champion by defeating Tommy Burns in Sydney, Australia
- February 17 — Red Barber, American baseball announcer, sports journalist (d. 1992)
- May 19 — Percy Williams, Canadian athlete (d. 1982)
- August 20 — Al Lopez, American baseball catcher and manager (d. 2005)
- August 27 — Don Bradman, Australian cricket player (d. 2001)