Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Recap of the year 1901 in sports.
- The American League declares itself a major league, in direct competition with the 24-year-old National League. Eight teams take the field, three of them in direct competition with teams in the other circuit. The teams are the Baltimore Orioles, Boston Americans, Chicago White Sox, Cleveland Blues, Detroit Tigers, Milwaukee Brewers, Philadelphia Athletics, and Washington Senators.
- 1901 in baseball
- Victorian Football League
- First Division - Liverpool win the 1900-01 title.
- FA Cup - Tottenham Hotspur beat Sheffield United 3-1 in a replay after drawing 2-2 in the first match. Tottenham are the first (and so far only) non-league side to win the FA Cup.
- Sir Donald Mann donates the Mann Cup.
- Lord Minto, the Governor General of Canada, donates the Minto Cup.
- The Ottawa Capitals win the first Mann Cup and the first Minto Cup.
- March 25 - At the five-day "Week of Nice" race in Nice, France, Mercedes wins its first racing victory.
- November 15 - James Jeffries defends the heavyweight boxing title in San Francisco against Gus Rublin
- The first Mann Cup of lacrosse is won by the Ottawa Capitals
- January 20 — Cecil Griffiths, British athlete (d. 1973)
- January 21 — Ricardo Zamora, Spanish football (soccer) player (d. 1978)
- May 24 — José Nasazzi, Uruguayan football (soccer) player (d. 1968)
- August 1 — Gérard Blitz, Belgian swimmer and water polo player (d. 1979)
- August 18 — Arne Borg, Swedish swimmer (d. 1987)
- August 26 — Frankie Genaro, American boxer (d. 1966)
- December 14 — Henri Cochet, French champion tennis player (d. 1987)